Newly arrived refugees need a lot of support. Some of the tasks they are faced with are:
- finding places to live,
- finding work,
- enrolling children in school,
- learning English,
- getting to know their new community,
- registering for social services,
- understanding life in Canada,
- getting around the area, and
- general support for basic needs.
How you can help:
- Volunteer in your local thrift stores or food bank.
- Drive refugees to appointments.
- Introduce refugees to the library, the bus system, the parks, the community centre.
- If you have a business, hire a Syrian.
- If you have teaching experience, coordinate an English practice group.
Most importantly, you can be a friend!
Contact us for ways to get connected with Syrian refugees in your community.